10 Quick Tips For Buffalo NY Home Sellers
10 Quick Tips For Buffalo NY Home Sellers. Research has shown that a poorly presented house can take longer to sell, even worse it can reduce the price.
10 Quick Tips For Home Sellers in Buffalo New York
1. Kick The Clutter. Do a top to bottom evaluation of your home. Throw out old newspapers and magazines. Pack away most of your small items, figurines, and other trinkets. Store clothing that won’t be used in the near future to make closets roomier. Prospective buyers need to see what the house looks like behind all your stuff.
Buyers like to visualize their possessions in the house and that is hard to do when the home is full of clutter.
2. Stage each room. If your rooms are smallish rearrange the furniture to make the rooms look bigger. Depth can make a huge difference in the appearance of a room. For example removing some furniture is better than having too much squeezed in. Set your furniture like a coffee house, make it intimate and comfortable. Move couches away from walls to give a further appearance of depth. In short make it look inviting.
3. Doors and windows. The first thing a prospective buyer will see when they walk in your home is a door and or a window. Make sure its painted or at least cleaned up and that it will open and close properly. This goes for screen doors as well.
Windows should all be cleaned and in proper working order. If they have been painted shut now is the time to get them to open.
4. Lighting. Put brighter bulbs in light sockets to make rooms brighter. Replace any burned out bulbs. This is especially important here in Western New York during a dreary winter. Turn all lights on before buyers come to view the home so you are sure the home looks bright, warm and inviting.
5. Make minor repairs. Everything you don’t repair now will be revealed in the home inspection and can create a bad impression. A good home inspector will catch just about every minor thing wrong with a home. Small problems such as sticky doors, torn screens, cracked caulking, cracked receptacle covers or a dripping faucet may seem trivial, but they’ll give buyers the impression that the house isn’t well maintained.
6. Curb appeal. Cut the grass, rake the leaves, trim the bushes, and edge the walks. Clean out the gutters. If it is winter in Western New York make sure to keep up with shoveling out the driveway and walkways.
During the warm weather months consider putting a couple of bright potted flowers near the entryway to the home to cheer things up and get the buyers attention. Selling a home in Western NY in the winter can be challenging. Make sure snow is plowed and sidewalks are cleared.
7. Garages and workshops. De-clutter the garage and make it accessible. If you have a workshop, organize it so that it looks neat and the prospective buyer can see themselves working in it.
8. Minor cosmetic work. Once the clutter is gone you will start to see all the things that you’ve been meaning to get to over the years. Painting where necessary, moldings repaired, cracked plaster and re-taping/ repairing drywall.
Think neutral colors for any coverings be it paint or carpets. If you have hardwood floors sand and finish them.
9. Kitchen and bathrooms. To the average buyer these are the most important rooms in your home. Often the kitchen and bathroom are what makes or breaks a sale. of all the Tips For Buffalo NY Home Sellers this one could reap a home seller in western NY you the most benefit. I cannot stress enough how important these two rooms are to your potential income outcome.
Plumbing fixtures should be working properly and cleaned so that they look like new. Showers and tubs need to be spotless. Sinks and vanities need to be immaculate and uncluttered. Kitchen cupboards should be in good working order. Cabinet drawers the same. If you want to sell a home fast in Buffalo NY an attractive kitchen is the best way to do it
10. Get rid of smells. When a person that doesn’t own a pet walks into a house with dogs or cats they immediately smell them, even if you do not. This is also true of smoke odor.
Clean carpeting and drapes to eliminate cooking odors, smoke, and pet smells. If carpets are old consider if it is worth while to replace them. The additional price you receive for your house might just outweigh the expense.
Open the windows and let fresh air in.
You may love the shelves Uncle Bob built for you back in the 80’s but most of your prospects will see them as old and out dated. All those Hummel figurines that you have collected over the years should be stored away until after the sale. Remember, a buyer wants to picture your house as their home. Not yours.
Selling a home in Buffalo NY can be an emotional experience but once you decide to sell its best to stop thinking of your house as your home. I hope these 10 Tips For Buffalo NY Home Sellers is useful.
That is just one of the many reasons why you need a Licensed Real Estate Salesperson to assist you in the home selling process.
If you are considering selling your home and you are in the Western NY Area feel free to give me a call at (716) 465-5723 for a free comparative market analysis of your home.
About: Century 21 Winklhofer is the oldest Century 21 company in Western New York. We are full service Real Estate Company servicing the surrounding communities of Buffalo and Western New York.
Thinking of selling your home?
Licensed Real estate Sales Person